C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 25
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. They didn't communicate their needs effectively, and that's ____________ the project faced many challenges.
2. They ____________ visited several countries on their trip so far.
3. Your cousin is a talented musician, ____________ is your sister.
4. The teacher asked the students to pay attention ____________ the main points of the lecture.
5. The organisation's main aim is ____________ keep the endangered species protected from harm.
6. The city has changed dramatically ____________ the course of the last two decades.
7. The two phrases can be used interchangeably, as they basically have the ____________ meaning.
8. The painting was famous ____________ the unique technique used by the artist.