C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 24
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. The car is expensive, but on the ____________ hand, it is very fuel-efficient.
2. In the automotive industry, the CEO is usually referred ____________ as the top decision-maker.
3. The debate ____________ the two politicians was heated and intense.
4. The detective looked ____________ the strange circumstances surrounding the case.
5. The school introduced new extracurricular activities ____________ response to the students' interests.
6. She needs to choose a dress ____________ matches her shoes for the event.
7. Many of ____________ enjoy watching movies at the weekends.
8. ____________ from being a musician, he is also a talented painter.