C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 23
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. The university was founded ____________ 1858 and has a rich history.
2. The charity is dedicated to helping families ____________ homes were destroyed by natural disasters.
3. The event featured ____________ engaging activities as workshops, panel discussions, and networking sessions.
4. The novel she's reading ____________ a type of psychological thriller that keeps you guessing.
5. A collision ____________ two cars caused a major traffic jam on the highway.
6. She took a photography course for the purpose ____________ making better memories of her travels.
7. ____________ dogs and cats make great pets.
8. The innovative machine ____________ plastic waste into useful products.