C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 22
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. ____________ are many different ways to approach this problem.
2. She always cheers ____________ when I mention our upcoming holiday.
3. She owns so ____________ books that she had to buy new bookshelves.
4. He decided to invest ____________ a new business venture.
5. The manager gave bonuses to those ____________ had exceeded their sales targets.
6. The drawbacks of fast foods like chips and crisps are that ____________ are high in calories and low in nutrients.
7. The dog chased ____________ tail for several minutes before getting tired.
8. The festival's events were spread ____________ over the three days of a long weekend.