C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 21
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. The cat ____________ owner lives next door is always in our garden.
2. I asked you not to contact them, ____________ you called them anyway.
3. The situation is ____________ longer under our control; we need to find a new approach.
4. Seeing ____________ you didn't enjoy the movie, we can try a different type of movie next time.
5. She decided to start her ____________ business and become an entrepreneur.
6. The workshop is beneficial, ____________ just for beginners but also for experienced professionals.
7. He didn't study for the exam, and that's ____________ he received a low grade.
8. The city experienced a decrease ____________ crime rates.