C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 20
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. They managed to reach their fundraising goal ____________ with the help of generous donors.
2. The temperature outside is well ____________ freezing. Wear something warm!
3. His ideas are not only practical but ____________ innovative and inspiring.
4. The event was a success on the ____________, despite a few minor issues.
5. The artist, ____________ work has gained international recognition, will be holding an exhibition.
6. The significance ____________ teamwork in achieving success is undeniable.
7. You need to fill in the form without any help, completely on your ____________, before submitting it.
8. Nobody can cook pasta quite ____________ my grandmother.