C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 2
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
- There are several very interesting ingredients we can add to this cake. ____________ of them is nutmeg and another is vanilla.
- We discussed who would give money for the gift for about ten minutes and ____________ the end, Cyril just grabbed the bill and paid.
- ____________ from yourself, do you know anyone else who'd be willing to volunteer?
- Brunei, a tiny ____________ very wealthy state, lies in Asia.
- My mother warned my brother that dinner would be at 6pm and ____________ this, he was eating doughnuts half an hour before!
- It looks ____________ though the new employee is going to be late on his first day.
- ____________ the work you do for the government, what else do you do for a living?
- We loved the house, but couldn't contact the agent and that's ____________ is the most frustrating thing.