C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 17
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. Sit down, relax and try and bring ____________ your heart rate.
2. I've never ____________ spoken to so rudely in my life!
3. Of ____________ the king's enemies, it was the Duke of Windsor who was most feared.
4. Anybody who has ____________ been in an Airbus 380 will know what travelling in such a huge plane is like.
5. If you are missing out ____________ any important vitamins, your health will suffer.
6. We sit down for so long every day, but many of ____________ have terribly bad habits which cause back problems.
7. Your sister's biggest problem ____________ a lack of ambition. She doesn't want to do or be anything.
8. Dentists warn against too many sugary foods which often ____________ to tooth decay.