C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 16
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
- All of us miss Jack terribly. He's left ____________ a big hole in our lives.
- Bill seems to ____________ caught a nasty cold. He's been off work for three days.
- Prague has seen an increase ____________ the number of tourists since 1993.
- Despite ____________ no obvious experience for the job, the boss's son was made head of marketing.
- Most birds can fly. Some, on the ____________ hand, live their entire lives on the ground.
- I told you not to write an e-mail to the suppliers, ____________ you did it anyway!
- As ____________ as I like potatoes, I don't want to eat them every day!
- Can you give any insight ____________ why half the students are missing today?