C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 14
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
- The heaters are broken. They produce ____________ or no warmth and the room is freezing!
- The bright petals of the flower attract bees, ____________, of course is very important for its life cycle.
- From what I remember, your uncle Jerry was a good student at college, ____________ was your father, of course.
- Even ____________ they'd met twice before, neither of them recognised the other.
- "Do you realise ____________ harmful all that air freshener spray is?" Miranda asked angrily.
- That dog ____________ be small, but it's a vicious thing!
- In ____________ to apply for this discount, you will need a printed coupon. Do you have it?
- The manager continued recording his employees' conversations, despite knowing it was ____________ the law.