C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 11
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
- ____________ to your mother, the party has been cancelled because the catering company went bankrupt.
- Jenny has ____________ or no aptitude for marketing. We need to move her to another department.
- I'm very hungry. On the ____________ hand, I just want to get home.
- Tell me about your childhood again, Margaret. I want to indulge ____________ some old fashioned nostalgia!
- Do ____________ of you in this room know a Mr. Dobson?
- This tiny little island was discovered, ____________ many were in the 18th century, by the British navy.
- The people ____________ I really admire are those that have built something successful by themselves.
- I asked in the bookshop about 'Falconry Monthly' magazine and they told me it's ____________ longer available.