C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 10
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
- I couldn't tell you the exact distance to Manchester, but it's well ____________ ten miles.
- ____________ time I see you, you've got a big smile on your face and look so happy.
- My boss is just ____________ likely to get to the office at midday as nine o'clock.
- ____________ having more trees than Moor Park, Wilson Park is also much larger.
- The climbers made such an effort to reach the summit, ____________ to find the pub on the summit was already closed.
- I don't understand ____________ that bird manages to carry so much food in its mouth. It's amazing!
- I didn't understand the physics lecture at ____________. What am I going to do for the exam?
- The politician resigned following a series ____________ disasters which led to his reputation being destroyed.