C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 1
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
- It was the sale ____________ my first car that gave me enough money to go travelling for the first time.
- I can't ask for help from anyone in my family. You know what they're ____________.
- Available flavours include ____________ only the usual strawberry and chocolate, but also peach.
- A collision ____________ two satellites has filled the sky with debris.
- Jane has so many cats, ____________ only those she has rescued, but ones that friends have given her.
- The reason they are called daily requirements is that we need to consume a number of them ____________ day.
- "Tess Of The D'Urbervilles" is probably the novel for ____________ Thomas Hardy is best known.
- A hippopotamus can be just ____________ dangerous as a lion.