C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the Reading & Use of English paper is Multiple Choice Cloze where students need to choose between similar words. Here is a series of worksheets for students to not only aim at getting the right word but think about why the other answers are not correct.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 5
For each question, choose which of the four possible answers fits the space best. Also think about why the other three answers are not possible.
1. Thomas graduated with a specialist degree in the ___________ of criminology.
2. Lasers can measure distances with incredible ___________.
3. My two cousins were so excited at the start of the war, they ran downtown and ___________ up immediately.
4. This machine ___________ the user's eye and can confirm identity.
5. The inquiry into the accident will be ___________ by Malcolm Jones, a former army general.
6. Though Carla's remarks seem insulting, if you see them in ___________, they're actually quite innocent.
7. Even early in the city's life, the ___________ for knowledge led to the founding of a university.
8. The three teenagers spent a cold night on the ___________ mountain before rescuers arrived.