C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the Reading & Use of English paper is Multiple Choice Cloze where students need to choose between similar words. Here is a series of worksheets for students to not only aim at getting the right word but think about why the other answers are not correct.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 27
For each question, choose which of the four possible answers fits the space best. Also think about why the other three answers are not possible.
1. The ___________ furniture in the room added a touch of elegance and history.
2. The shop owner tried to ___________ the teenager from shoplifting by speaking to him about the consequences.
3. The volunteer ___________ for his friend when he couldn't make it to the event.
- stood up
- stood by
- stood in
- stood out
4. The sudden increase in crime rates ___________ the need for better security measures.
5. The new software will ___________ users to complete their tasks more efficiently.
6. The sudden gust of wind ___________ the flames, causing the fire to spread quickly.
7. Throwing away perfectly usable items contributes to unnecessary ___________.
8. The hikers had to ___________ a steep hill to reach the campsite.
- drop on
- fall to
- go down
- descend over