C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the Reading & Use of English paper is Multiple Choice Cloze where students need to choose between similar words. Here is a series of worksheets for students to not only aim at getting the right word but think about why the other answers are not correct.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 13
For each question, choose which of the four possible answers fits the space best. Also think about why the other three answers are not possible.
1. Hal's parents apologised for their treatment of him and said they wanted to ___________ the situation.
2. A truck that was carrying food ___________ fell into the river, but the driver managed to escape.
3. You simply must invite Carol to the party. She's always the life and ___________ of any evening.
4. I'm tired and in pain and what's ___________, I didn't even want to come here.
5. Sadness is an ___________ part of the bereavement process.
6. If you read Anna's comments in ___________, you'll see there wasn't anything wrong with them.
7. Much of South America was ___________ when diseases were introduced by arriving Europeans.
8. This chain of mountains ___________ its name from an ancient tribe that lived in the area.