C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the Reading & Use of English paper is Multiple Choice Cloze where students need to choose between similar words. Here is a series of worksheets for students to not only aim at getting the right word but think about why the other answers are not correct.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 12
For each question, choose which of the four possible answers fits the space best. Also think about why the other three answers are not possible.
1. Two ferries ___________ today in the main harbour, but there were no injuries.
2. The red squirrel, once ___________ throughout Britain, is now restricted to the north.
3. In many countries, specially trained dogs are used to ___________ hidden drugs.
4. Once you ___________ the border, you are subject to the laws of another country.
5. The film last year helped to ___________ interest in 1920s fashion and even ways of speaking.
6. We have decided to ___________ the Premium 2000 computer security system. It's too old now.
d) throw away
7. It was the child's history teacher that first realised she was being ___________ at home.
8. Police told everyone to stay at home until the ___________ of thieves had been captured.