C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the Reading & Use of English paper is Multiple Choice Cloze where students need to choose between similar words. Here is a series of worksheets for students to not only aim at getting the right word but think about why the other answers are not correct.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 11
For each question, choose which of the four possible answers fits the space best. Also think about why the other three answers are not possible.
1. The tribes on these islands carry out a strange hunting ___________ at the beginning of summer every year.
2. We have to walk down three flights of stairs just to get rid of our rubbish. What an ___________!
3. Sharon had broken many regulations at work and finally paid the ___________ by losing her job.
4. You've been ___________ from the competition because we've discovered you cheated.
5. Even the tiniest ___________ in a rocket can lead to a catastrophic failure at launch.
6. I met a woman in town who was talking to people about homeless teenagers and asking for ___________.
c) pocket money
7. There's a very unusual ___________ for this movie: a prison for badly behaved dogs!
8. Though we always turn right here, I often ___________ what's down the other road.