C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 9
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. If your sister didn't work so hard, your family would starve!
Were it __________________________ working so hard, your family would starve.
2. Margaret told her daughter never to touch the vase.
"Under __________________________ this vase to be touched," Margaret told her daughter.
3. We get on well with both of Jack's parents.
We __________________________ with both of Jack's parents.
4. If we could choose, we'd prefer to go to Paris.
We'd __________________________ Paris if given the choice.
5. "Have you considered the cost of this project?" Elena asked.
Elena wanted to know if they had taken __________________________ of the project.
6. "You might have to drive a lot in this job," Greg said to Kathy.
Greg told Kathy that the job __________________________ of driving.
7. The airline never said anything about having overbooked the plane.
At __________________________ tell us they had overbooked the plane.
8. If you left the bank at 3pm, it's possible you saw the thief.
You may __________________________ you were in the bank at 3pm.