C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 8
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. John said he almost never went out on a Wednesday night.
"__________________________ out on a Wednesday night," John said.
2. Megan apologised to Harry for saying he was a coward.
Megan __________________________ she said about Harry being a coward.
3. I don't think Mika hitting your car was an accident.
I think Mika __________________________.
4. "It's not the overtime I resent, it's the pay freeze," said Trevor.
Trevor __________________________ pay freeze than the overtime.
5. "Don't tell Chris too much or you'll regret it," Sally told June.
Sally __________________________ too much to Chris.
6. You're not ever allowed in this laboratory.
At __________________________ permitted to be in this laboratory.
7. Don't ever open this door.
__________________________ should you open this door.
8. Daniel regretted speaking so rudely to his landlord
Daniel __________________________ politely to his landlord.