C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 7
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. "The manager broke the computer", Tina said.
Tina said __________________________ the computer.
2. The flawed diamond was much cheaper than the perfect one.
The perfect diamond cost __________________________ flawed one.
3. "I'd like to know who thought of that horrible name for the new company."
Who __________________________ name for the new company?
4. Someone was driving the car very erratically, the police confirmed.
The police confirmed that the car __________________________ erratically.
5. "I really should have studied more for the exam," Jed thought.
"If __________________________ for the exam," Jed thought.
6. Any time you see Clara, ask her about her husband.
If __________________________ Clara, ask her about her husband.
7. The mayor revealed everything about the old scandal after he left office.
Only after leaving office __________________________ everything about the old scandal.
8. Some have said that the government is ignoring the problem of inflation.
The government __________________________ the problem of inflation.