C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 6
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. It was very windy, but we really enjoyed the picnic.
We really enjoyed the picnic __________________________ was very windy.
2. I couldn't believe it when Jackie came back to work.
I __________________________ the speed of Jackie's return to work.
3. It's very probable that this dog will win the competition.
It's __________________________ will win the competition.
4. Mary didn't seem to be at all scared when she drove the motorbike.
Mary showed __________________________ own safety when she drove the motorbike.
5. Jane said it was Sarah's fault that the dinner party was a disaster.
Jane __________________________ Sarah for the disastrous dinner party.
6. Even when I did very badly, my teacher always gave me encouragement.
__________________________ I did, my teacher always gave me encouragement.
7. Hannah was preparing to send an email to Richard when she saw his email.
Hannah was __________________________ Richard an email when she saw his email.
8. "It's not a good idea to invest in that company," Philip told John.
Philip __________________________ in that company.