C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 5
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. They'll blame the failure of the festival on the weather.
The failure of the festival __________________________ the weather.
2. When people speak down to my sister, she hates it.
My sister hates __________________________ to like that
3. I know it's dangerous, but I love hang gliding.
Dangerous __________________________, I love hang gliding.
4. I'd prefer you not to stay out so late.
I'd __________________________ stay out so late.
5. I don't think it's important how fast we drive, we're going to be late.
We're going to be late __________________________ drive.
6. We paid someone to fix the roof for us last summer.
Last summer, we __________________________.
7. You should have spoken to Meg sooner.
If __________________________ to Meg sooner.
8. "You played your music too loud last night," Jan said to Ben angrily.
Jan __________________________ his music too loud the previous night.