C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 4
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. I'm just about to give up this diet because it's not working at all.
I'm __________________________ this diet up because it's not working at all.
2. Please do those photocopies whenever you have the time.
Please do those photocopies if __________________________ the time.
3. If you really want to spend the whole night studying, there's nothing I can do.
If you __________________________ the whole night, there's nothing I can do.
4. The match will be postponed if it keeps raining.
Further rain __________________________ postponement of the match.
5. "I can't stand what his assistant said about me," said Barbara.
Barbara __________________________ the assistant said about her.
6. "Ian took the money, not his brother Dylan," Susan said.
According to Susan, __________________________ took the money, not Dylan.
7. The shop was closed for a week while they decorated it.
While it __________________________, the shop was closed for a week.
8. If Phil is having so many problems at school, maybe some private tuition would help him.
Maybe Phil would __________________________ tuition if he's having so many problems at school.