C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 3
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. A phone call was the first we heard about them withdrawing from the concert.
The first we heard about __________________________ of the concert was a phone call.
2. We need to run or the train will leave before we get there.
Unless we run, the train __________________________ we get there.
3. "You really must stay for dessert," Kate's brother said to him.
Kate's brother __________________________ for dessert.
4. "A massage would do you a lot of good," Jake told Amy.
"You __________________________ a massage," Jake told Amy.
5. Even if it's very far, they want to go to Paris for a weekend break.
Far __________________________, they want to go to Paris for a weekend break.
6. The town's population surrendered as soon as the enemy arrived.
No sooner had the enemy arrived __________________________ surrendered.
7. This building stands a very good chance of being closed as unsafe by the council.
It's __________________________ will be closed by council due to being unsafe.
8. Another student stole Carol's watch from the classroom.
Carol __________________________ by another student from the classroom.