C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the English & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 24
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. Carol told Emma not to rely on her help during the exams.
Carol told Emma __________________________ during the exams.
2. You need to accept that you may not win the competition.
You need to __________________________ the possibility of not winning the competition.
3. I always really hated carrots when I was young but now I prepare them often.
I __________________________ carrots when I was young but now I prepare them often.
4. The new marketing campaign caused sales to go up.
The new marketing campaign __________________________ in sales.
5. His friends didn't believe him until he showed them the award.
Not __________________________ did his friends believe him.
6. She didn't start feeling better until after she took the medicine.
__________________________ the medicine did she start to feel better.
7. I don't mind if you borrow my car for the day.
I have no __________________________ my car for the day.
8. Kevin's temper is the only thing that caused this conflict.
__________________________ temper, this conflict wouldn't have happened.