C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the English & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 23
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. If I fail to meet this deadline, I'll be the laughing stock of the office.
I'll __________________________ in the office if I fail to meet this deadline.
2. George soon recovered after the operation on his shoulder and was able to rejoin the squad.
After the operation on his shoulder, George __________________________ and was able to rejoin the squad.
3. When presented with the options of chocolate or vanilla, I chose chocolate.
When __________________________ chocolate and vanilla, I chose chocolate.
4. He blamed his failure in the exam on his poor health.
He __________________________ his failure in the exam.
5. The heavy snowfall made it impossible for them to reach the summit.
They __________________________ the summit if not for the heavy snowfall.
6. You shouldn't buy that house, the agent told them.
The agent __________________________ that house.
7. When they finally arrived, the party was already over.
__________________________, the party had already ended.
8. It's obvious that you need to be punctual for your job.
It __________________________ need to be punctual for your job.