C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the English & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 23 - Answer Sheet
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. I'll never live it down in the office if I fail to meet this deadline.
2. After the operation on his shoulder, George made a fast recovery and was able to rejoin the squad.
3. When faced with a choice between chocolate and vanilla, I chose chocolate.
4. He blamed his poor health for his failure in the exam.
5. They might have reached the summit if not for the heavy snowfall.
6. The agent advised them against buying that house.
7. By the time they arrived, the party had already ended.
8. It goes without saying that you need to be punctual for your job.