C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the English & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 22
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. It's important to get your eyesight checked on a regular basis.
__________________________ checked regularly is really important.
2. The novel was supposed to be published in spring but got delayed.
Although the novel was __________________________ in spring, unforeseen circumstances caused a delay.
3. Don't share what I just told you about Peter with anyone else.
Please __________________________ about Peter to yourself.
4. She didn't understand the importance of the document until she lost it.
__________________________ the document did she understand its importance.
5. The hotel room with a sea view is much more expensive than the one without.
The room without a sea view costs __________________________ the one with.
6. Despite her not having any formal training, she became a successful chef.
Her __________________________ didn't prevent her from becoming a successful chef.
7. My dog used to chew my shoes every day in the garden.
My dog __________________________ the garden.
8. They made every effort to complete the project on time.
They __________________________ complete the project on time.