C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the English & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 21
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. He refused to go to the party unless his best friend also went.
He would go to the party __________________________ friend also went.
2. This cookery book is the most boring one I've ever read.
This cookery book __________________________ interesting one I've ever read.
3. This movie will almost certainly win an award.
It's __________________________ will win an award.
4. When she heard the bad news, Sasha started crying.
Sasha __________________________ the bad news.
5. Sophie's cousin showed up just when she was about to leave the shop.
Sophie was __________________________ the shop when her cousin showed up.
6. The employee of the month will receive a bonus.
The employee of the month __________________________ a bonus.
7. She really wanted to visit the new art exhibition.
She __________________________ visit the new art exhibition.
8. It's unlikely that Sarah will get the job she applied for.
There is very __________________________ the job.