C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the English & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 20
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. We hired a gardener to cut the lawn last weekend.
Last weekend, we __________________________ by a gardener.
2. She didn't appreciate her home town until she moved away.
__________________________ away did she appreciate her home town.
3. You could use some rest, she said to her tired friend.
You __________________________, she said to her tired friend.
4. Sarah was the one who broke the vase, not her sister, Mum said.
According to Mum, __________________________ broke the vase, not her sister.
5. It's not necessary for you to bring any food.
You __________________________ any food.
6. Even though it's expensive, they want to buy the luxury car.
Expensive __________________________, they want to buy the luxury car.
7. He didn't start to relax until the guests had left.
__________________________ the guests had left did he start to relax.
8. The picnic will be cancelled if it continues to snow.
Continued snowfall __________________________ cancellation of the picnic.