C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the English & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 20 - Answer Sheet
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. Last weekend, we had the lawn cut by a gardener.
2. Only after she moved away did she appreciate her home town.
3. You could benefit from some rest, she said to her tired friend.
4. According to Mum, it was Sarah who broke the vase, not her sister.
5. You don't need to bring any food.
6. Expensive as it may be, they want to buy the luxury car.
7. Only after the guests had left did he start to relax.
8. Continued snowfall will mean the cancellation of the picnic.