C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 2
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. Many delegates stole pens from the conference room.
A lot of __________________________ the conference room by delegates.
2. Immediately after Bess arrived home, the phone rang.
No __________________________ home than the phone rang.
3. If his expensive divorce hadn't happened, Bill would still be a rich man.
If it __________________________ divorce, Bill would still be a rich man.
4. "You won't get lost along the country lanes if you always have the map open."
He told them they wouldn't get lost __________________________ had the map open.
5. My brother has great ideas all the time.
My brother always __________________________ ideas.
6. If that passing woman hadn't arrived, we would have been completely lost.
Had it __________________________, we would have got completely lost.
7. If I lose this job, nobody will let me forget it.
I'll __________________________ if I lose this job.
8. They'll have to cancel the show if the audience doesn't increase.
A continued low audience for the show __________________________ cancellation.