C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the English & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 19
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. As soon as the lights went off, they started the fireworks.
No sooner __________________________ off than they started the fireworks.
2. Joyce understood that her friend was not telling the truth.
__________________________ her friend wasn't telling the truth.
3. The dog ate my homework, he claimed.
He claimed __________________________ ate his homework.
4. If we don't leave now, we will miss the start of the film.
If we don't leave now, the film __________________________ we arrive.
5. Maybe the dog found the hidden treats.
The dog __________________________ the hidden treats.
6. I didn't realise it was a joke until I saw the hidden camera.
Only __________________________ camera did I realise it was a joke.
7. She didn't start to worry until she received the second letter.
__________________________ the second letter did she start to worry.
8. The students didn't realise how difficult the task was until they started.
__________________________ did the students realise how difficult it was.