C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the English & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 19 - Answer Sheet
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. No sooner had the lights gone off than they started the fireworks.
2. Joyce figured out that her friend wasn't telling the truth.
3. He claimed that it was the dog who ate his homework.
4. If we don't leave now, the film will have started by the time we arrive.
5. The dog might have found the hidden treats.
6. Only when I saw the hidden camera did I realise it was a joke.
7. Not until she received the second letter did she start to worry.
8. Only after starting the task did the students realise how difficult it was.