C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the English & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 18
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. It's widely believed that exercising regularly leads to a healthier lifestyle.
There __________________________ exercising regularly leads to a healthier lifestyle.
2. I was surprised when my old friend showed up at the party.
I __________________________ my old friend's appearance at the party.
3. I didn't notice how late it was until I looked at my watch.
__________________________ at my watch did I notice how late it was.
4. They are demolishing the old school due to fire damage.
The old school __________________________ because of fire damage.
5. I wouldn't have got the job if you hadn't helped me.
But __________________________, I wouldn't have got the job.
6. This holiday is within our budget, as long as we don't spend too much in fancy restaurants.
We __________________________ as long as we don't spend too much in fancy restaurants.
7. He was discovered when he tried to cheat in the exam.
He __________________________ in the exam.
8. The event was cancelled because there were not enough volunteers.
The event was cancelled __________________________ of volunteers.