C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the English & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 18 - Answer Sheet
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. There is a common belief that exercising regularly leads to a healthier lifestyle.
2. I was taken aback by my old friend's appearance at the party.
3. Not until I looked at my watch did I notice how late it was.
4. The old school is being pulled down because of fire damage.
5. But for your help, I wouldn't have got the job.
6. We can afford this holiday as long as we don't spend too much in fancy restaurants.
7. He got caught trying to cheat in the exam.
8. The event was cancelled due to a shortage of volunteers.