C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the English & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 17
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. I'm not as interested in this story as the others.
This story is not __________________________.
2. Everyone knows that these texts were written by an ancient philosopher.
An ancient philosopher __________________________ these texts.
3. The traffic was so bad that I arrived late.
__________________________ the heavy traffic that I arrived late.
4. Is Becky considering leaving her job?
I __________________________ leaving her job.
5. I can't stand the constant noise from the neighbours anymore, said Carol.
I am not going __________________________ this noise from the neighbours anymore, said Carol.
6. He needs to decide if he's going to join the team or not.
He needs __________________________ whether to join the team or not.
7. He didn't start the project until the last minute.
__________________________ minute did he start the project.
8. People expect the company to improve its policies.
__________________________ the company will improve its policies.