C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the English & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 15
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. You should have told the truth from the beginning. That would have been better.
If __________________________ from the beginning, it would've been better.
2. He will not get the job unless he improves his attitude.
He won't get the job __________________________ his attitude.
3. The last time I visited this city was five years ago.
It __________________________ visited this city.
4. We werenít able to go on the trip because we didnít have enough money.
If we __________________________ money, we would have gone on the trip.
5. I wonder who invented this incredible device.
Who __________________________ this incredible device?
6. They didn't realise they were lost until it got dark.
__________________________ did they realise they were lost.
7. You must be careful not to make any mistakes.
You __________________________ any mistakes.
8. The museum was closed for renovation, the sign said.
The sign said that the museum was closed because __________________________.