C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the English & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 14
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. I want you to understand that it's important.
I want to __________________________ it's important.
2. Even though she felt ill, she still went to work.
__________________________, she still went to work.
3. Itís highly improbable that Peter will win the marathon, given his lack of fitness.
Peter has almost __________________________ the marathon, given his lack of fitness.
4. If Sara hadn't entered the field of law, she might have become a well-known archaeologist.
If Sara hadnít entered the field of law, she might have __________________________ herself as an archaeologist.
5. Even though she studied a lot, she failed the test.
__________________________ a lot, she failed the test.
6. He was not successful in spite of his hard work.
__________________________ hard, he was not successful.
7. He didn't get the joke until someone explained it.
__________________________ to him did he get it.
8. Without a ticket, you won't be allowed to enter the concert.
You __________________________ entering the concert without a ticket.