C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the English & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 14 - Answer Sheet
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. I want to get across to you that it's important.
2. Despite feeling ill, she still went to work.
3. Peter has almost no chance of winning the marathon, given his lack of fitness.
4. If Sara hadnít entered the field of law, she might have made a name for herself as an archaeologist.
5. Despite studying a lot, she failed the test.
6. Despite working hard, he was not successful.
7. Only after someone explained the joke to him did he get it.
8. You will be prevented from entering the concert without a ticket.