C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the English & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 13
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. She assured me she would look after my plants while I was away.
She promised __________________________ plants while I was away.
2. Even though he was rich, he lived a simple life.
__________________________ rich, he lived a simple life.
3. She wasn't surprised by the plot twist because she had read the book before.
Since she __________________________, she wasn't surprised by the plot twist.
4. I have been waiting here for over an hour for your brother.
I __________________________ waiting here for your brother.
5. Many cars were damaged due to the new roadworks.
The new roadworks __________________________ damaged.
6. Even when the tasks were challenging, my supervisor always supported me.
__________________________ the tasks were, my supervisor always supported me.
7. I sometimes think about whether my old teachers remember me.
I __________________________ teachers remember me.
8. My old car was much slower than this one.
My old car __________________________ as fast as this one.