C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the English & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 12
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. My dogs tends to bark a lot when it's left alone.
My dog is __________________________ a lot when it's left alone.
2. Clara could only afford that dress because of the loan you gave her.
Had __________________________ money, she wouldn't have been able to afford that dress.
3. He lost the race as he didn't run as quickly as the rest of the boys.
His loss was blamed on his inability __________________________ rest of the boys.
4. You must try to accept that you will never run your own company.
You must __________________________ fact that you will never run your own company.
5. If you don't know what you're doing, you shouldn't dismantle the watch.
Don't __________________________ you know what you're doing.
6. The weather seems to be improving this afternoon.
The weather __________________________ this afternoon.
7. James said the reason for his poor exam performance was his illness.
James __________________________ on his illness.
8. You won't be able to come into this club without a shirt.
You __________________________ into this club without a shirt.