C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the English & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 11
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. Carol should have worked harder if she wanted a promotion.
Had Carol worked harder, __________________________ getting a promotion.
2. The manager will give a bonus to the best employee of the year.
The __________________________ a bonus by the manager.
3. Don't tell a soul what I said to you about Margaret.
__________________________ what I said to you about Margaret.
4. I forbid you to go to stay out so late.
It's __________________________ for you to stay out so late.
5. You can't tell Sophie that you saw me today.
On __________________________ Sophie that you saw me today.
6. This revolutionary new engine won't work unless it's carefully planned.
Careful planning __________________________ of this revolutionary new engine.
7. It's very unlikely that we will promote Barbara this month.
There is very little __________________________ this month.
8. They tried very hard to finish the painting by the end of the day.
They __________________________ the painting by the end of the day.