C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The fourth part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Key Word Transformations. Worksheet 1
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You can use between THREE and SIX words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. None of the phones were left when we got to the shop.
__________________________ the shop, all the phones had been sold.
2. I didn't know it was Carl until he took off his hat.
Only __________________________ his hat did I recognise Carl.
3. Don't waste your time asking Bryan to come with us.
It's __________________________ to come with us.
4. Perhaps John heard the story from Pippa.
Pippa might __________________________ story.
5. Until they fire me as manager here, I'll run the company my way.
__________________________ the boss, I'll run the company my way.
6. The school's management are investigating allegations of teacher brutality.
Allegations of teacher brutality __________________________ the school's management.
7. It's not possible that you saw Mary last night, she was with us!
You __________________________ last night, she was with us!
8. The beach was fun even though it was too cold.
__________________________ too cold, the beach was fun.