The Open Boat, Gapped Text Exercise
In the following text, six sentences or parts of sentences have been removed. Above the extract you will find the six removed sentences PLUS one sentence which doesn't fit. Choose from the sentences (A-G) the one which fits each gap (1-6). Remember, there is one extra sentence you do not need to use. Write the correct letter in the box.
Choose from the following sentences to fill the spaces in the text. There is one extra.
- They were like islands, bits of earth that did not move.
- He always spoke in a low voice and calmly.
- If it started blowing the other way, they would never reach land.
- And the memories of friends who were so far away from them.
- The captain's face was sad. He had lost his ship and many of his sailors.
- The anger of the sea was no more to them than it was to a group of chickens a thousand miles away on land.
- The four men in the boat could not see the sky.
Tell your friends about us!
Share By Email