A2 Key Exam Guide: Multiple Matching
Reading & Writing Paper
Context: This section is a part of the A2 Key Reading & Writing paper, designed to test reading comprehension through matching.
Task: Students are required to read seven questions and three short texts on the same topic. The task is to match each question to the correct text.
Objective: The goal is to locate specific information quickly and understand detail by reading carefully.
Scoring & Marks: The seven questions are worth seven points, so one point for each. There are 60 points available for the whole Reading & Writing paper.
How to Approach
- Understand the Questions: Start by reading each question carefully to know what information is needed.
- Read the Texts: Quickly skim through the texts to find relevant parts for each question.
- Detail Reading: Once a potential match is found, read that part of the text carefully to confirm it answers the question.
- Check All Options: Make sure to review all texts as more than one text could potentially answer the question. Choose the best match.
- Final Review: Before finalising the answers, review them to ensure accuracy and best fit.
This section assesses the ability to quickly locate specific information in texts and comprehend details accurately.
- Practise reading different types of texts to get familiar with various styles and topics.
- Develop quick reading skills to find relevant information efficiently.
- Pay attention to the specific details in texts to answer questions accurately.
- Train to discern between similar pieces of information to make the best match.
- Learn to make quick notes while reading the texts. This can help you quickly refer back to specific information without re-reading the entire text.
How It Looks
"Practising with various types of texts, especially focusing on quickly finding key information, really helped me in this section. It's all about matching the right information fast." - Carlos Rodriguez