For each question, choose which of the four possible answers fits the space best. Also think about why the other three answers are not possible.
1. We won the ___________ part of two million dollars on the lottery.
2. Hopes are ___________ of finding anyone else alive after a fishing boat went down off the Scottish coast late last night. Three men were picked up but another four are still missing.
3. You might have failed twice, but I think you should ___________ and you will eventually succeed.
4. The police spokesman said he was ___________ to believe that the arrested man was the serial killer they had been looking for.
5. Even though the two men didn't commit any crime, the police were alerted to their suspicious behaviour ___________ outside the bank for nearly an hour.
6. The team threw on all their substitutes in the last five minutes, all to no ___________ as they lost the game narrowly by three points.
7. The ___________ of winter always brings reports of people getting caught out by inclement weather when they least expected it.
8. Soldiers reported many of the prisoners of war to be drunk from the effects of vodka, used by the poorly equipped enemy soldiers to ___________ the pain of toothache.
9. There will be one general meeting per month ___________ the usual section meetings every week.
10. There is no chance of you getting the promotion after only two months working here ___________ the great work you have done.
Tell your friends about us!
Share By Email