For each question, choose which of the four possible answers fits the space best. Also think about why the other three answers are not possible.
1. As soon as the problem at work blew up, he instantly thought about how he could come out of it looking good. He is such a ___________ person.
2. The sound of the jet taking off from the nearby airport ___________ the peace of the countryside and startled the horses.
3. "Look, I don't know the best solution," he said, ___________ his shoulders and walking away from the table.
4. We carried on down the path ___________ of the notice warning of avalanche risk.
5. That old wall will need to be ___________. Otherwise, it will fall down come the first strong winds of winter.
6. The cheese in the fridge is ___________ a very funny smell. I think it must be bad. I will throw it out.
7. The judge declared a ___________ today due to unfair media coverage and the trial will be restarted again early next year.
8. You must go and see that new soppy film with Richard Gere. Don't be afraid to ___________ a few tears though. I did!!
9. There is no way you will be able to lift that stone up to here. Get a few of the men to help you ___________ it up with a rope.
10. The smoke was seen to rise a few metres up from the bonfire and then ___________ slowly down the valley on the slight breeze that blew.
Tell your friends about us!
Share By Email