C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is word formation where a student needs to uses a root such as 'friend' and creates an appropriate word (friendly, befriend, friendship) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 5
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. That sign on the truck means that it is carrying ______________ materials.
2. Due to ______________, house prices in this area have become totally ______________. We may to look somewhere cheaper.
3. It says here at the end of your CV that you can give us three ______________ from your old job.
4. The ______________ of the factory will be a very ______________ exercise but vital for the employment situation in this town.
5. Are you sure the ______________ is working properly on this truck? It must have done more than twenty thousand.
6. That was a very ______________ meal: very ______________ and filling!
7. This country house was the scene where the ______________ murderer Collins was finally arrested.